Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Mason Jar Foaming Soap Pump

I'm recently obsessed with mason jars. When I saw a few posts on making lotion pumps, soap pumps, etc. I of course had to do it. I prefer foaming soap, so I went that route. 

I found two blogs that had directions. Here's the first, and here's the second. I combined steps from the two of them, and then added a bit of my own. I couldn't find a 1-1/2 inch drill spade, which is required to do the first method since you use the Method bottle threads to secure the pump. And, in the second I wasn't about to spend hours banging nails through jar lids.

I used the Method brand soap dispensers and used a 1-3/8 drill spade to make my hole (which is just big enough to get the under portion of the pump in the jar). I am probably not as crafty, but I didn't find this step as easy as it was made out to be. My husband and I ruined several lids before finally figuring out how to get it right enough to work. First, we drilled a small starter hole in the middle, then we clamped the lid in a bench-attached clamp. While he drilled, I also held with a hand clamp so the lid wouldn't collapse. A couple of times, the lid hole came out perfect, and the other times I had to use a utility knife to cut it out. The good thing about this project is that the whole doesn't have to be perfect to work since part of the pump that sits on the lid is wider than the hole. Safety note: WEAR GLASSES. A piece of the metal flew out and hit my eye. If I hadn't had my glasses on, I'd be wearing a patch right about now.

Next, I used crazy glue to run a bit of glue around the edge of the pump part that sits on the lid for a little extra security. I let it sit for a few minutes, then I flip over and caulk underneath to seal it.  I let dry overnight.

Then, I placed a baggie over the thermoses I used to keep my pumps upright and spray painted Rustoleium on them. After two coats, I used a clear spray sealant as well.

No comments: