Monday, July 09, 2012

Remembering DSP

Today marks the second year since we lost my father-in-law, David.  For those of you who didn't get the chance to know him, he was one of the greatest men I have ever known.  I am truly thankful to be married to his son - who is just like him.  David lost his battle with leukemia in 2010. While he fought hard for almost a year, and we had time to prepare ourselves for losing him, it is still a shock to realize he's not with us. Sometimes its over wishing he were with us to celebrate something major, like having our first child, but sometimes it is over something silly, like me making a "Davidism," and imagining him patting his chest, smiling and saying "that warms my heart," as he often did when I was able to make a joke using his unique sense of humor. 

He never met his two granddaughters - and for those who knew David, you know there's nothing he wanted more than to be a grandfather.  I am constantly looking for little clues that MK has some DSP in her - whether it's something she finds funny, or an expression.  I hope that she gets his humbleness, generosity and love of humor.  Maybe she'll carry on in his memory and celebrate international Talk Like A Pirate Day with devout reverence as well (which is September 19 for all ye landlubbers). Arrr Matey :)

In honor of David Scott Perry, here are some of my favorite "Davidisms":

"All around a pig's ass is pork"

"I'm just like an old crow, I love shiny things"

Ow, this is hot  DSP: "It wasn't cooked in the refrigerator"

David, do you want to play poker?  DSP: "Poker? Hell, I didn't even know her"

"Wha-What?"

"O-M-G"

"Did everything come out OK?" after you've walked out of the bathroom.


No comments: