Tuesday, November 27, 2012

O' Hanukkah Bush, O' Hanukkah Bush

how lovely are thy...dreidels?

I'll be the first one to tell you there is no such thing as a Hanukkah bush. This bizarre (and probably sacrilegious) family tradition began the first year my sweet husband and I began dating in 2000. I went home from college with him during Thanksgiving vacation. While we were visiting his family and would go out shopping we'd comment on all the Christmas decorations we saw being set up.  David (my husbands' father) mentioned that it would be time to get out the ole' Hanukkah bush soon. Not having known David long enough (and of course not ever being exposed to the Jewish culture before), I immediately started shopping around online and in stores for a Hanukkah bush for my husbands' (then boyfriend) apartment. I couldn't find one anywhere. On the first night of Hanukkah I was so upset and told Paul that I looked everywhere but couldn't find a Hanukkah bush for him to put up at his apartment. He busted out laughing at me, and then proceeded to call his father, who also busted out laughing at me. Yet again, the joke was on me :)

Incidentally, this was also the year I learned not to take anything David said seriously.

A few years later we met a dear sweet friend who got a big kick out of this story. So, in 2004, he made a Hanukkah bush out of a mini Christmas tree with blue lights, star ornaments and homemade menorah and dreidel ornaments. Thus began the tradition of the Hanukkah bush.

Happy Hanukkah!



1 comment:

Trista said...

That's hilarious, and such a great memory of your father-in-law to share with MK.