Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Shepherd's Pie



This recipe came from hubby's Aunt Jill (as do most of my yummiest recipes). I always double it because it is so yummy that we all want leftovers, thus I just went ahead and doubled the recipe here. This recipe does NOT freeze well, so if you don't want as much, then use half of what I list below.

6-8 potatoes (this barely covers a 13x9 pan. I recommend 8)
2 lbs ground beef
2 tbsp olive oil (optional - see below)
2 carrots (diced)
1 onion (chopped)
2 c (1 can) beef broth
6 tbsp flour
2 tsp thyme
2 tsp rosemary
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Make your mashed potatoes however you best like mashed potatoes -  just make sure they are spreadable (nice and whipped). If aren't up for this much work, pre-made or instant would probably work (but wouldn't be as tasty!) Put potatoes in fridge or to the side. Heat oil, carrots and onions in a skillet (I often skip this and heat directly in beef broth as I have three kids and not much time). Add ground beef and brown. Add thyme, rosemary, flour, salt, pepper. If you didn't cook veggies in broth first, this is the time to add broth. Simmer until mixture thickens. Put beef mixture in 13x9 dish (anything smaller will spill over). Spread mashed potatoes on top. Bake 30 minutes at 400 degrees. Garnish with rosemary if desired.

No comments: