Saturday, April 21, 2012

Adventures in Baby Food

MK eating her first carrots
See what I did there - the title is play on the best 80s movie - Adventures in Baby Sitting...get it?  Anyway, moving on.  I attempt to make MK's baby food myself.  It's the best thing I can give her, and it's my way of making up for the fact the breastfeeding thing didn't work out too well for us.  It's really easy to do - and you don't need any specialty stuff.  Don't bother wasting the money.  All you need is Magic Bullet, ice cube trays and Ziploc bags.  I tried using other pureeing methods - a regular blender, a food grinder, but nothing worked magic like, well, the Magic Bullet.  Just about everything but bananas you have to steam before pureeing. I use a stove-top steamer for the most part, but I've steamed in the microwave a couple of times if the portion wasn't big enough to make getting out the stove-top steamer set worth it.  After steaming, puree, pour in ice cubes and freeze.  Once frozen, pull out and put baby food cubes into Ziploc freezer bags - and label the bags with date.  These are good for about 6 months.  If you need to put a little moisture back into them, you can use formula or water after you've thawed them for baby to eat.  So far I've made and frozen carrots, broccoli, zucchini, squash, bananas, pears and blueberries.  We've only eaten the carrots and broccoli, so stay tuned for the rest!

No comments: